The Charter Features
In these days of social distancing, on-line learning, and nothing being normal, the simple distraction of back to basics time in the kitchen preparing a delicious meal can be a step in the direction of sanity. This week The Charter will be starting a weekly column of recipes with the goal of providing our readers with just such a break. In these hard times learning to cook some new favorite dishes and sharing some quality time around the dinner table will help us make it through this.
May these recipes bring smiles to your table and something to be proud of when you are done.
This dish is a rich pasta plate. It’s quick and easy to put on your table.
Ingredients – Serves 4 (30-45 minutes)
- Generous 1 lb broccoli
- 9 oz tortellini
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds
- Wash, clean and divide broccoli into individual florets. Dice the stem.
- Add broccoli to boiling salted water and cook for 8–10 minutes. Pour into sieve and reserve boiling juices, leaving the vegetable to drain thoroughly.
- Cook the tortellini as per packet instructions and allow to drain thoroughly.
- Heat butter, add in the flour once melted, whisk together. Poor in 1/2 cup of reserved broccoli liquid and whipping cream. Whisk the sauce to a smooth and creamy, then leave to simmer gently for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and one pinch of sugar.
- Add broccoli and tortellini and heat the sauce. Arrange tortellini on dishes and serve with a sprinkle of slivered almonds.
Kids. NGV, 2007. ISBN 078-3-625-11473-4